Home Remedies for Morning Sickness
Don't let morning sickness dampen your excitement!
Morning sickness affects 50-90% of pregnant women during their first trimester.1 However, it’s usually at its worst around week 8. By weeks 12 to 14, these symptoms will usually fade. Cheer up though – feeling nausea is usually a sign of a healthy pregnancy.
Try this suggestions and home remedies to ease your morning sickness2:
- Get a good night’s sleep and plenty of rest during the day.
- Eat small portions of food at frequent intervals3.
- Eat a dry cracker, toast or plain biscuit before getting out of bed4.
- Drink plenty of fluids. If drinking is proving difficult, home-made fruit juice ice cubes or simply sips of whatever you can stomach will keep you hydrated
- Including ginger in the diet may help reduce nausea symptoms in some women5 .
- Try acupressure. Putting pressure on specific points on your wrist, using a special band may help relieve the symptoms6.
Bear in mind that your body may respond differently on different days. If your nausea is severe, or if your symptoms persist, speak to your doctor early.
- Arsenault, Marc-Yvon, et al. "The management of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy." Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada: JOGC= Journal d'obstetrique et gynecologie du Canada: JOGC 24.10 (2002): 817-31.
- NHS UK. Nausea and morning sickness [Online]. Available at: www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/morning-sickness-nausea.aspx Page last reviewed: 5 March 2018. Next review due: 5 March 2021.
- Meltzer DI. Complementary therapies for nausea and vomiting in early pregnancy. Family practice. 2000 Dec 1;17(6):570-3
- Viljoen, Estelle, et al. "A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effect and safety of ginger in the treatment of pregnancy-associated nausea and vomiting." Nutrition Journal 13.1 (2014): 1-14.
- Ozgoli, Giti, and Marzieh Saei Ghare Naz. "Effects of complementary medicine on nausea and vomiting in pregnancy: a systematic review." International journal of preventive medicine 9 (2018).
Aptamom Berry Mix
Aptamom Raisin and Chocolate
Connect with our team of experts
We provide advice and support for you on your parenthood journey.