The importance of nutrition for growth and immunity
If there’s one thing most parents wish for their children, it is that they grow and develop to their greatest potential. That means access to good quality food and nutrients, water, plenty of activity and sleep but it also goes beyond just an increase in height and weight. Healthy development also includes social, emotional and educational development. An environment that is safe and loving, where the child is able to play and read, explore and spend time with friends and family.
1. Consult a healthcare professional to ensure appropriate management of your child’s height, weight, and other health problems.
2. Provide frequent meals for your child, but in small portions.
3. Provide food with higher calorie and protein content adapted to your child’s age through a variety of food groups and supplement with high calorie formula:
A variety of food groups:
Rice and Cereal Products
Fruits and Vegetables
Fish, Poultry, Meat and Legumes
Milk and Dairy Products
Sources of Healthy Fat
Formula dietary food with high calorie content (e.g. 1kcal/1ml)
The food pyramid is a visual tool used as a guide to help parents to provide a healthy, balanced, and varied diet for their children and help them achieve the recommended nutrient intake.
A balanced diet contains a combination of food sources that will provide all the needed nutrients for your child. Thus, the food pyramid includes food from 5 main food groups: rice and cereal products, fruits and vegetables, meat and legumes, milk and dairy products, and sources of healthy fats.
The bottom level is the food group to be consumed the most, whereas the top level represents the food group to be consumed the least.
1. Malaysian Dietary Guideline for Children and Adolescents. 2017.
2. Nutrition Society of Malaysia. 2011. Nutritionist’ Choice Cookbook. Vol 1: Healthy Recipes for Your Little Ones.
Find out if your child is at nutritional risk by answering FOUR simple questions.TRY THE PAEDIATRIC NUTRITION SCREENING TOOL NOW
Connect with our team of experts
We provide advice and support for you on your parenthood journey.