How Serious Is An Allergy To A Child?
Children with an allergy may have sleep disturbances and problems at meal times, which will negatively impact the quality of family life. There is 80% chance that a child can inherit allergies if both parents have allergies1. In addition, once a child has an allergy in the early stage of life, he/she could go on to develop other allergic conditions, and this is known as The Allergy March.
Allergy March in Children
Hence, minimising the risk of allergy in early life of your child is important before allergy march happens to him/her as allergy march can have significant impacts on a child’s physical, social, financial and psychological well-being in adulthood2-8.
A healthy immune system is important in protecting your child against infections and allergies. If you are concerned about your child being at risk of cow’s milk protein allergy, it may be time to consider a specialized diet. There is also recommendation of prebiotic supplementation for the prevention of allergy9. Consult your healthcare professional on how you can reduce your child’s risk of allergy.
1. Malaysia Allergy Prevention (MAP) Guidelines for Healthcare Professionals. 2014. Appendix 2: Family History of Allergies & Risk Grading, page 26.
2. Pawankar R et al. WAO, White Book on Allergy. Update 2013:5-55
3. Prescott SL. J. Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013;131(1):23-30
4. West CE et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015;135(1):3-13
5. Silverberg JI. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016;137(3):938-940e1
6. Gupta R et al. JAMA Pediatr. 2013;167(11):1026-31
7. Patel DA et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;128(1):110-115e
8. Dalgard FJ et al. J of Inv Dermatol. 2015;135:984-991
9. Cuello-Garcia et al. World Allergy Organization Journal. 2016;9:10
Our Partially Hydrolysed Protein Product
Connect with our team of experts
We provide advice and support for you on your parenthood journey.